Thursday, March 3, 2016

Our 2016 Family Theme

I am late in posting this, but am excited to share with you our 2016 family theme.:


I Know It. I Live It. I Love It.



It's from the 2012 General Conference talk by Sister Ann M. Dibb's talk by the same name, "I Know It. I Live It.  I Love It."


I loved her insight, "We are followers of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Such conversion and confidence is the result of diligent and deliberate effort. It is individual. It is the process of a lifetime."

If you remember my post from December about the creating a family theme and setting goals each year, you will know that we like to focus on our theme each year for most of our Family Home Evening lessons and activities.


We decided to break down each of the three statements by Sister Dibb and focus on one each month, and then start over again on the 4th month.


In January, we focused on "I Know It," and taught lessons about the basic doctrine of the gospel. We learned more about the Atonement, the Sacrament, and making covenants. We also did some heated scripture chases, and played some fun games on the subject.


In February, we focused on "I Live it." We did some impromptu service projects about how we can live in such a way as to help others who are in need, taught about bearing testimony of what we believe, and challenged the older children to bear their testimony in fast and testimony meeting. They both did it!


In March we are studying the "I Love It" portion of the theme, and are going to learn about being a missionary, having a good attitude, smiling, and being a good example as we try to find joy in this journey of life.


A special note that I want to add here is that we DON'T spend a lot of time planning or prepping our FHE lessons or activities. The lessons are simple, prepared quickly and contain few bells and whistles. We also keep the total event short and sweet. The collective attention spans of 4 children ages 9 and under isn't long!


Instead, we have determined that consistency and simplicity have served us better in this effort and will continue to strive to teach in small but precise steps.








No comments: