Sunday, February 21, 2016

Service Challenge!

Hey Friends! I wanted to issue a "Ring a Bell Challenge."

I've modified the famous "It's a Wonderful Life" quote a bit since many times the angels who serve others are on the earth-US!





This challenge comes from a personal experience and then a challenge I issued to myself after to be a cheerleader to those who are struggling.

I deal with chronic foot pain and decided to train for a marathon. Hardest challenge of my life!!! As I began the race, my foot seared with pain during the first half mile and I knew I was in trouble. I fought the entire length of the 26.2 miles, but as I neared the last mile or so, I was so exhausted and in so much pain that I thought I would just stop there, and go home. I felt like I was going to pass out and couldn't take another step.
At that moment, a woman on the side of the race course, a spectator, saw me struggling. She wildly rang a cow bell and cheered me on very loudly. Even though it was MY race, and she couldn't run it for me, her support and bell ringing gave me the confidence and strength I needed to endure to the end of my race.
Soon after this experience, a dear friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer. I struggled with knowing how to best help her. This was her trial, her race to run, and I felt helpless in how to best support her. I thought back to my race and the support of my cheerleader. So, I bought her a cowbell and gave her a message telling her that when she felt lost, alone and tired, to ring the bell loudly so she could remember how many people were cheering her on in this race.
Since that time, I have given away a dozen or so cowbells with similar messages to friends who are being challenged in their race of life.
We often wonder how to help someone who is struggling. May I suggest that it doesn't take money, skills or even a lot of time. It just takes a bit of love. We can all be a cheerleader.
Please take a moment and cheer someone on this week. You just may change a life.

No comments: